Monday, August 24, 2009

The Lemonade Stand


One hot day...
I was driving down a residential street on my way home from the gym. The weather was clear with temps in the low 90's.

As I rounded the corner, I saw a bright pink sign with a little girl shouting to "Lemonade!" to passers by. Something told me to slow down. I was thirsty, after all, and the thought of a lemonade sounded good.

I parked
and saw these four kids, two girls and two boys, happy and smiling; I could sense their excitement: "They had a customer! And he's reaching for his wallet!"

Their stand consisted of a folding table and a few garden chairs nestled beneath the shade of a blue patio umbrella. Not far from them sat a few of the parents in conversation, enjoying the warm day.

I asked
the young entrepreneurs what the would do with "all the money they were making today". "We're gonna split it!" they responded. I paid for my Dixie cup full of the cold sweet concoction and left them a generous tip.

The thought occurred to me to ask for a photograph, I'm not sure why, I never am... So I introduced myself to the parents and asked casually. Being a parent myself, I completely understand any hesitation to grant such a request. The world is just a different place than it was when I was growing up. Luckily, I got the approval and walked back to my car to get my camera.

I shoot with a Nikon D90 SLR with a 50mm f/1.4, which isn't all that big of a camera, but still can be a bit intimidating. Its not the average point-and-shoot, so it took a while before the kids started to loosen up.

In this shot
...you can see the differences among them; One is smiling brightly, while another is almost hiding under the table. I really enjoy the way that the camera is able to stop time. To freeze that moment with the push of a button.

I feel like I've made some new friends that day. Since then, I've sent the retouched images to their parents, and every time I drive by, I'll look for the Lemonade Stand and the young entrepreneurs that brought it to life on that hot day.... and I'll smile!


No comments: