Monday, May 18, 2009

Seven's up

I loaded windows 7 on my laptop. I actually went to Microsoft's site and signed up for the "Release Candidate" I got a legitimate license key, good until June 2010, for free; Whats the catch?

So far, I like it! I loaded Photoshop CS3, my Nikon drivers all without a hitch. There was a bit of a hiccup with the Bamboo tablet from Wacom; The install program bombed on the last step. I had to search through the CD and run that setup program alone. It seems to be working well now.

No Hibernation?
Apparently there's a glitch with some of the power drivers that wont allow the sleeping laptop to "wake up and hibernate" so it just sleeps until your battery dies. Hmmm... Now I have to remember to make it hibernate before I close the lid. No Biggie..

Where's My Old Drive?
I'm such a chicken that I just pulled out the old drive and will keep it so I can go back to XP if needed. I wanted to get some data off the old drive so I put it into a drive case with a USB interface. For some reason, the Toshiba laptop won't see the drive. Googling led me to this fix: "Remove the driver in the Device Manager and then reinstall by scanning for hardware changes." Guess what? It works now.

Now I understand what the catch is: I'm basically finding some of the bugs so that the rest of the world can have a better experience.

I think its a fair trade.

No comments: